Academic Catalog

Continuation Standards

Academic Review

The record of every undergraduate student will be reviewed at the end of each fall, spring, and summer semester. Many of the individual colleges of the University have higher academic requirements for students to continue in their degree programs. However, no student will be suspended academically from the University unless he/she fails to meet the standards specified here.

A student’s academic standing is based on his/her Total Institutional GPA and “Total Institutional GPA Hours” which can be viewed in Self Service Carolina at the end of a student’s “Unofficial Academic Transcript” under the heading, “Transcript Totals (Undergraduate).”

Academic Probation

After students have completed at least 12 credit hours of coursework at USC Upstate, they will be placed on academic probation if their "Total Institutional GPA" at the end of any semester is less than a 2.00.  Students who are placed on probation should examine their academic habits and life choices that may be negatively affecting their academic work. Students who are on probation must:

  1. successfully complete an academic workshop coordinated by the Student Success Center,
  2. submit a Conditional Enrollment Agreement w/ the Student Success Center,
  3. satisfy the requirements in the Agreement, and
  4. meet with a financial aid counselor.  

A registration hold will be placed on a student’s record until these requirements are satisfied.

Removal From Academic Probation

When a student’s Total Institutional GPA at the end of any semester is a 2.00 or above, he or she is not on academic probation.

Probation Chart

Total Institutional GPA Hours Placed on Probation Suspended Removed from Probation
12-35 GPA <2.0 GPA <1.5 GPA >2.0
36-71 GPA <2.0 GPA <1.8 GPA >2.0
72+ GPA <2.0 GPA <2.0 GPA >2.0

Semester Reprieve: Regardless of the Total Institutional GPA, a student may continue on probation and avoid suspension if the Current Term grade point average is 2.00 or greater.

Students who leave the University without completing a term of probation, and are absent for three (3) or more years, will begin a new term of probation upon readmission.

Academic Suspension

A student who has been placed on academic probation but does not achieve the required minimum GPA standard will be placed on academic suspension. There are three levels of academic suspension.  A student who is serving a first or second suspension may attend summer school at USC Upstate. Grades earned in summer school may provide evidence of fitness for removal of the second suspension through the appeal process. A student who has a third (indefinite) suspension may not enroll in classes at USC Upstate. Suspended students will not be admitted or allowed to continue any program of the university for credit or GPA purposes. Grades based on credits earned at other institutions while under suspension will not be used to remove the suspension. See suspension appeal process.

Level Length of Suspension How Suspension may be removed
First 2 major semesters I. Attend summer school at USC Upstate, enroll in at least nine grade hours, and achieve a minimum grade of C on all courses attempted, or II. Successful appeal through the suspension appeal process, or III. Serve the suspension
Second 4 major semesters I. Attend summer school at USC Upstate, enroll in at least nine grade hours, and achieve a minimum grade of C on all courses attempted, or II. Successful appeal through the suspension appeal process, or III. Serve the suspension.
Third 48 months Follow Academic Forgiveness Procedure

Academic Suspension Appeal Process

Students wishing to appeal academic suspension should obtain an appeal form from the University's website. Completed forms must be submitted to the Records Office to be considered prior to the start of the term.

  1. The Student Services Committee of the faculty may grant students relief from academic suspension only in extraordinary circumstances.
  2. Decisions of the Student Services Committee may be appealed to the Senior Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs.

Returning to the University

A student who reenters the University after having been suspended will begin a new term of probation. The conditions of that academic probation are those listed above. Students who have been granted relief through the suspension appeal process may have additional conditions imposed on them.  Students will be notified of any additional conditions by letter. When a student is granted relief from academic suspension through the appeal process, the suspension is not removed from the permanent record, but continues to appear on the record and to count as one of the three academic suspensions a student is allowed.

Academic Grievances

The University of South Carolina Upstate is committed to the judicious, fair and impartial resolution of conflicts which arise between an instructor and a student and of petitions from students who seek relief from university regulations related to their academic work.  The process is designed to provide an objective review of student complaints regarding academic grievances, including acceptance into a program (for example, nursing or education), transfer credit, grades and other academic policies.  Copies of the Academic Grievance Policy and the appeal form are available in the Records Office.  Instructors are not bound by the grade appeal recommendations.  Students wishing to appeal academic suspension should follow the procedure under "Academic Suspension Appeals Process."

Transfer Credit

Students wishing to transfer to USC Upstate should refer to the admissions section on of this catalog. All official transcripts must be sent directly to USC Upstate from each institution the student has attended, including summers, transient or concurrent enrollment, whether or not the credit is earned or applies to the degree sought. All work will be used in the calculation of the collegiate GPA.

Transient Credit

Degree-seeking students at USC Upstate are expected to follow the progression of courses described in their program of study, which builds academic skills through course sequencing.  Students enrolled as degree-seeking candidates will receive a degree from USC Upstate and thus are expected to complete course work at USC Upstate. Continuing students are permitted to take courses at other institutions; however, not all courses offered at other colleges and universities are transferable and some may not count toward a student's degree program.  Students seeking transfer credit must complete the following prior to enrollment:

  • Obtain a Transient/Concurrent Enrollment form from a division office, dean's office or the Records Office website;
  • Obtain approval signatures from the student's advisor and dean on the Transient Credit Form; and
  • Submit the completed Transient Credit Form to the Records Office.

To obtain transient credit for a course completed at another institution, students must:

  • Earn a minimum course grade of C for courses completed at all non-USC system schools; and
  • Request an official transcript from the transient institution be sent to the USC Upstate Records Office.
  • As noted in the residency policy, the last 25 percent of the semester hours of the degree program must be completed in residence at USC Upstate.